The Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk
Held in March and September each year
JOIN our 5-Day Camino Walk from Penrith to Blackheath. The Blue Mountains Camino Supporters [BMCS] is a social group which shares the wonderful spirit of the Camino through various events including its Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk through the Blue Mountains.
The inaugural 5-Day Camino Walk was September 2017 and has gained popularity each year. Since 2020 there are two Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walks offered; a Autumn walk in March and a Springtime walk in September. The distance is 68 to 81kms depending on the route taken.
The Blue Mountains Camino Walk is a wonderful opportunity to experience the Camino spirit right here in Australia. If you have walked a Camino and wish to rekindle the pleasures - and pain - of long distance walking with like-minded pilgrims, this walk is for you. If you have never walked a Camino, but aspire to one day, this walk is the perfect opportunity to learn from others and experience a little of the Camino spirit right here in the Blue Mountains.
Please be aware this is not a guided walk but rather a Training Walk over 5 days with a group of Camino friends travelling up the Blue Mountains. You will be provided with detailed maps and an information guide. You can decide to walk alone or in a group.
BE COVID SAFE and WALK SAFELY: All walkers are responsible for their own personal safety and well being when participating in Blue Mountains Camino Supporters activities. Whether walking with a friend or in a group, you must practice appropriate social distancing and good hygiene at all times. Carry hand sanitiser in your day/backpack. It is highly recommended to wear a mask when using public transport and going into some shops/cafes/bars and any enclosed public place (check current NSW Health COVID-19 rules Click HERE). Please bring and wear a mask as required. If you are feeling unwell, please do not participate and if any slight symptioms do get COVID-19 tested, stay at home until you get results. Be COVID SAFE, download the COVID App. Download the Service NSW app which includes the QR code for signing in. Protect yourself and others. When unsure please check or current NSW Health information Click HERE
Registered participants are invited to attend the Welcome event which is held on the Monday evening prior to Day 1 of walk in Blackheath. Subject to change due to unforeseen weather events and COVID-19 restrictions.
* Held during last week in March annually
* 21-25 September 2021 - FULLY BOOKED
How hard is the walk?
On this uphill route you will walk on a variety of terrain - fire roads, bush tracks, pathways, pavement (including a section along the GWH) and suburban roads. There are steps and some steep sections. There will be options to deviate from the direct route to include scenic tracks or points of particular interest.
Penrith, our starting point, is 25m above sea level, and Blackheath, our end point, is at 1065m. Each day distances walked are between 14km and 27km. Although the distances don't appear long, each day will take approx 6-8 hrs, including breaks, due to the elevation gain and variable bush tracks.
ALL participants are responsible for their own personal safety and well being at all time when participating in Blue Mountains Camino Supporters activities.
How much does it cost?
We ask each participant for a $40 donation to assist in the on-going development and mapping of the route and to provide the necessary tools to each walker.
How to Register?
Registrations for 23-27 March 2021 - Was Fully Booked
Registrations for the 21-25 September 2021 Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk - FULLY BOOKED
An information package will be emailed to you within a few days on receipt of your registration. The maps will be presented at the Welcome and Briefing evening event held the day before starting Day 1 of walk.
Summary of the Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walk
Please note all walkers are responsible for their own personal safety and well being. It is advisable to book your accommodation early and check the cancellation policy should that be needed (hopefully not!). You may wish to base yourself in one, such as Glenella, or two locations and travel to/from start and finishing points each day.
THESE EXAMPLES BELOW OF INFORMATION PROVIDED TO REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS:
Pic below: Wall map in the Camino Corner at Glenella shows the routes for the 5-Day Blue Mountains Camino Walk
Previous Blue Mountains Camino 5-Day Walks
conducted by the Blue Mountains Camino Supporters
* 23-27 March 2021 - Due to extreme weather event across NSW, the March walk was reduced to a 4-Day Walk with Day 1 Penrith to Springwood cancelled. On two days the route had to be changed slightly due to possibility of unsafe walking conditions and swollen creeks. The wet weather didn't dampen the spirits of the walkers with many enjoying a 'rest' day on what would have been Day 1 walking. There were 40 walkers registered for the March 5-Day walk and despite some last minute cancellations, there were 35 excited pilgrims participating in the Autumn walk. Pilgrims came from Brisbane, several from the Central Coast and the South Coast regions, three from Canberra including a couple on their 3rd attempt to join us (border closures), from many areas of Sydney and of course the Blue Mountains.
The weather in the Blue Mountains almost on cue subsequently cleared and by Wednesday morning provided sunny days, perfect for walking. Some walkers chose to walk from Blackheath to Mt Victoria, to make it 'their' 5-Day Walk. The March walk we introduced the use of Avenza app and QR code to access maps offline. The Camino provides...... it was wonderful how pilgrims so willingly pitched in to help with the 'small' drainage issues on the first day/night at Glenella to helping fellow pilgrims along the way and being flexible with Plan B route/s. Another wonderful Blue Mountains Camino 5 (4)-Day Walk enjoyed by all the pilgrims. Buen Camino.
* 27-31 October 2020 - Penrith to Blackheath, 68-81kms depending on route walked. Thirteen walkers including some members from the Central Coast Camino Group, Jindabyne, Sydney and the Blue Mountains started on Day 1 from Penrith to walk all 5 days. With each day passing the group were joined by more walkers including several from the September 5-Day Walk increasing to 25 on Day 4. The October walkers experienced all seasons over the 5 days with snow drifts on Day 5 to the excitment of everybody! Again, 20 pilgrims were hosted at 'Albergue' Glenella which provided much Camino spirit and camaraderie just like on the Camino in Spain or Portugal. Evening events included special guest John Brierley, author of the 'A Pilgrim's guide to the Camino de Santiago', Zoomed in to chat to the pilgrims staying at Glenella and other walkers at home.
* 22-26 September 2020 - Penrith to Blackheath 68-81kms depending on route walked. Fifty registered to walk including 4 from interstate but due to COVID-19 restrictions they could not join us. Forty six pilgrims walk all or part of the 5 days, divided into 4 groups doing 2 different routes with a walk co-ordinator per group/day. Pilgrims came from across NSW including Newcastle, Alstonville in the Northern Rivers, Mudgee, Wollongong, Queanbeyan, numerous suburbs of Sydney and the Blue Mountains. Twenty pilgrims were hosted at 'Albergue' Glenella. Evening events included special guests Susi y Fermin of Casa Susi, Zoomed in from Tradbadelo, Spain to chat to the pilgrims staying at Glenella.
* 24-28 March 2020 - Cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions.
* 22-26 October 2019 - Penrith to Blackheath approx 84kms. Twelve pilgrims commenced on Day 1 with 8 pilgrims completing all 5 days. On Day 5 Katoomba to Blackheath, the numbers swelled to about 30 joining the last day.
* 25-29 September 2018 - Penrith to Blackheath
* 22-29 September 2017 - the inaugural 5-Day walk Penrith to Blackheath. Six pilgrims set off on Day 1 with many others joining in to do lesser days. After arriving at Blackheath, two pilgrims continued onto Mt Victoria.
Pic below: Year 5 - March 2021 Day 2, some pilgrims in contemplation on the 11 circuit Chartres replica Labyrinth at Blue Labyrinth Bush Retreat, Woodford.
Pic below: Year 4 - October 2020 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith "The Gateway to the Blue Mountains"
Pic below: Year 4 - Sept 2020 Day 1 walkers having a break at Blaxland
************************ Pic below: Year 3 - October 2019 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith to Springwood.
Pic below: Year 2 - September 2018 Day 1 walkers setting off from Penrith to Springwood
Pic below: Year 1 - September 2017, two walkers extended by an additional day to Day 6 and finishing at Mt Victoria